If you come to the Costa brava you can't miss those typical Catalan dishes
Do you want to try typical food from the Alt Empordà area, Costa Brava and Cataluña?
- Olive oil can be bought from Pau or Palau-Savardera cooperative.
- Wine cellars are scattered throughout the region. For example: Agrobodega of Capmany, peralada, Vilajuïga, Perafita, etc. It is highly recommended to do wine routes.
- Palamós prawns are served in almost all restaurants specialized in fish.
- L'escala anchovies are served in almost all the restaurants specialized in fish.
- Bread with tomatoes.
- Paella - Cala Pelosa, Cala Jóncols or Falconera restarants.
- Fideuá/Noodles - Cala Pelosa, Cala Jóncols or Falconera restarants.
- All i Oli :accompaniment to dishes such as Paella o Fideuá.
- Butifarra de perol can be found more often in La Garrotxa or in the Can Maricanes Restaurant in Vilajuïga
Snails: one of the best known restaurants is Can Barris in the town of Campllong but you can also find it in other restaurants such as Can Maricanes de Vilajuïga.
- Sea Urchin - la Barretina Restaurant in Roses.
- Escudella i carn d'olla (Catalan stew) typical in winter: you can find it in Can Maricanes restaurant in Vilajuïga.
Escalivada: Very easy to find.
- Crumbled codfish
Calçots/Spring onions:In January, February or March - El Churrasco restaurant in Empuriabrava. It is essential to try the Romesco sauce that accompanies the calçots.
- Sausages: the easiest way to try them is to go to the market and buy a little of each type to try them.
- Black sausages:
- Liver sausage:
- Catalan sausage:
- Taps de Cadaqués :Should be ordered in advance at la mallorquina patisserie c/Doctor Trèmols nº8.
- Catalan cream pudding
- Honey and mató(fresh cheese).
- Chestnusts and panallets: Typical for all saints (1 November) at any patisserie.
- Ratafia: It is an aperitif or digestive that can be found in almost all cafes / restaurants.
- Cremat: It is made with ron, coffee beans, sugar, lemon peel and cinnamon,and it is served hot. Traditional drink accompanied by the Catalan Havaneras songs and the sailors drank in the morning so as not to get cold.
It is very difficult to find, but it is very consumed in Calella de Palafrugel.
I hope that after your holidays on the Costa Brava you were able to enjoy some of these dishes.
If you are looking for Touristic accomodations in Roses you can visit our website.